Friday 8 October 2021

Oil rigs and their ships (Spartan Games)

Welcome to the first of my Dystopian Wars posts 馃榾. Back in the day, I liked this game so much that I bought ~8 boxes of minis for it. However, those are my first painted ones 馃槵







--------------------

Yup, exactly - those are the very first models for DW that I actually painted. After buying 10+  boxes of ships and terrain pieces. But well, better now than never. Plus, I want to finally paint my collection.


These ships come from the Merchant Fleet box. Unfortunately, over all of these years I lost the Apollo Carriers and the box itself 馃槦


The one thing I didn't like are the HDF legs for the platforms. They look weird and off-putting for me, so I decided to build my own from the plasticard tubes and profiles. As an inspiration I googled for some totally random photos of oil rigs. The first prototype:


And the rest, with French frigate for scale. 


Than it was simply a matter of dropping the platforms on and priming them in resin primer. I also cut down some pipes from the original bottoms. Because, why not.


Painting process started:


Paint plus and oil wash later:


As a terrain bonus, I decided to test paint three ships. They all share the same hull, but different drop ons.
Two of these I painted as a standard cargo ships with cranes, bringing something and a new wooden/iron top of the tower. Third one I think was supposed to be a Q-ship with concealed guns, but I painted as a Search And Rescue ship. Once again, google graphics "search and rescue ship" to the... ummm... rescue?


As usual, I painted everything in parts:


And after a coat of protective semi-gloss (which annoyingly decided to leave white spots all around) everything was done 馃榿



And the ships themselves:









4 comments:

  1. Fajne, sam zastanawia艂em si臋 czy nie wej艣膰 w ten system. Ostatecznie jednak si臋 jeszcze nie zdecydowa艂em bo pozosta艂e gry w ca艂o艣ci poch艂aniaj膮 m贸j bud偶et i czas. Ale mo偶e kiedy艣...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja wszed艂em za czas贸w spartan games, wtedy system by艂 o wiele bardziej rozwini臋ty. Ale obecny w艂a艣ciciel naprawi艂 najwi臋kszy problem gry: patologicznie d艂ugie zasady.
      Plusem te偶 jest to 偶e to wszystko jest ma艂e - statki na du偶膮 gr臋 schowasz do pude艂ka w kieszeni 馃榿

      Delete
  2. Jak na takie male艅stwa, to naprawd臋 nie藕le pomalowa艂e艣 te modele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dzi臋ki :)
      jak pisa艂em, to testowe malunki, zanim zabior臋 si臋 na powa偶nie za moj膮 flot臋. Wbrew pozorom same statki s膮 malutkie wi臋c szybko to idzie, czas zabiera g艂贸wnie schni臋cie dw贸ch washy olejnych.

      Delete

I'm absolutely okay with linking to my pics or posts, as long as you provide the source. I pay close atention to copyrights, but if you find copyrighted material on this blog, write to me and I'll remove it ASAP.
Linkowanie moich zdj臋膰 czy post贸w jest absolutnie okej, tak d艂ugo jak zostanie podane ich 藕r贸d艂o. Zwracam baczn膮 uwag臋 na prawa autorskie, ale je艣li zauwa偶ysz na tym blogu materia艂 chroniony, napisz do mnie a zdejm臋 go jak najszybciej.